Lonesome Water

Adventures of a bad Orthodox Christian at at time near the end of the world (apologies to Walker Percy). Working in the media, living in the country, waiting for rain, climbing the fire tower by night, watching for brushfires below and for signs and portents in the skies.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Drank lonesome water

Lonesome Water
Roy Addison Helton, b. 1886

Drank lonesome water:
Weren't but a tad then
Up in a laurel thick
Digging for sang;
Came on a place where
The stones was holler;
Something below them
Tinkled and rang.

Dug where I heard it
Drippling below me:
Should a knowed better,
Should a been wise;
Leant down and drank it,
Clutching and gripping
The overhung cliv
With the ferns in my eyes.

Tweren't no tame water
I knowed in a minute;
Must a been laying there
Projecting round
Since winter went home;
Must a laid like a cushion,
Where the feet of the blossoms
Was tucked in the ground.

Tasted of heart leaf,
And that smells the sweetest,
Paw paw and spice bush
And wild briar Rose;
Must a been counting
The heels of the spruce pines
And neighboring round
Where angelica grows.

I'd drunk lonesome water,
I knowed in a minute
Never larnt nothing
From then till today;
Nothing worth larning,
Nothing worth knowing.
I'm bound to the hills
And I can't get away.

Mean sort of dried up old
Groundhoggy feller,
Laying cold out here
Watching the sky;
Pore as a hipporwill,
Bent like a grass blade;
Counting up stars
Till they count too high.

I know where the grey foxes
Uses up yander,
Know what'll cure ye
Of ptisic or chills,
But I never been way from here,
Never got going:
I've drunk lonesome water.
I'm bound to the hills.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Never lived in the "hills" but one of my absolute, favorite poems.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Sasha said…

    I read this in my school library in around 1955, probably from the original book published 1930, and pieces of it have been in my head ever since. So glad the internet made it possible to find it again, and that it is even better than I remembered!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home